Sync only picks up if app is running when files changed

V3.15
Windows 11 23H2

Has anyone else noticed this? 

If the Icedrive app is closed and files change in a sync pair, the app doesn't pick up and sync those changes when it's restarted.

Steps to reproduce:
Quit the app.
Add some files in a sync pair.
Reboot.

The app won't see the new files. It has to be watching at the time the changes take place.

The workaround is to move the files elsewhere and move them back again. But this isn't feasible if there are lots of changes to keep track of.

I often need to quit the app to avoid a conflict with Win32DiskImager, so it would help if this could be fixed.

Hi @lawgiver_ai

As mentioned in your support ticket, currently, if the app is shut down and changes are made in synced folders, those changes won’t sync upon reopening the app. The app must remain running for syncing to work properly, but we’re exploring ways to improve this in future updates.

This is a very important feature. I guess I could get around this by using syncback. Or delete and re-create the sync pairs every now and then. But I don’t think I should have to do this.

The older versions of the app supported this kind of behaviour just fine.

We hear you, I will forward this on to our development team to consider.

I don’t think you’re seeing the importance of this bug. This isn’t something to consider, it’s a major bug that prevents normal operation. It’s too important to be merely considered.

It’s unreasonable to expect that everyone runs your app all the time. Anyone could turn it off at any time. When it’s resumed, the user will reasonably expect it to catch up with anything it’s missed.

I can’t be expected to recreate all sync pairs to capture files that might have been overlooked.

Can you recommend any third party software that can cover this shortfall?

3 Likes

I agree with @lawgiver_ai. This is a major issue that needs to be solved as soon as possible. It is also the main reason I don’t recommend Icedrive to my friends, to be honest.

Also, I think Icedrive should be much more transparent about this issue, instead of letting people figure this out for themselves. I am sure there are a lot of users who assume that their backup is accurate, while in fact it is not. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes