Installing Icedrive Mount & Sync on Mac M2/Apple Silicon

EDIT: We have created a much easier to follow step by step guide below:

How to Install Icedrive on a Mac with Apple Silicon

If you’re using a Mac equipped with Apple silicon, there are a few additional steps required to set up Icedrive. You’ll need to enable kernel extensions in Recovery mode. Although Apple suggests these extensions may reduce system security, rest assured that Icedrive is designed with your safety in mind, and this installation process remains secure.

Steps to Install Icedrive

1. Download Icedrive for Mac: First, download the installation DMG file for Icedrive.
  2. Mount the DMG file:
  • Window opens with Icedrive item
  • Drag & Drop the item to desktop or a home folder
  • Run the Icedrive item
  1. Shut Down Your Mac: Power off your computer.
  2. Enter Recovery Mode: Hold down the power button until you see the startup options, or press Command + R to enter Recovery mode.
  3. Access Startup Security Utility: Go to Utilities > Startup Security Utility.
  4. Modify Security Settings: Select “Reduced Security,” then check “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers.” Confirm by clicking OK.
  5. Restart Your Mac: After making these changes, restart your computer.

Install macFUSE

1. Download and Install macFUSE by downloading from https://osxfuse.github.io/ and proceeding below

Allowing Icedrive system extension

Follow this guide to allow the Icedrive system extension:

1. Open System Settings from the Apple menu.
  2. Navigate to Privacy & Security in the sidebar.
  3. Scroll to the Security section and find the option to allow system software from “Benjamin Fleischer.” (The macFUSE kernel extension developer)
  4. You might need to restart your Mac after this step.

Getting Started with Icedrive

Once you’ve completed the installation, launch Icedrive, and you’re good to go!

Important Note

If you prefer not to enable system extensions via Privacy & Security settings or Recovery mode, you can still use Icedrive, but with limited functionality. Specifically, you’ll only be able to use the sync feature.

Troubleshooting

Unable to Enable Icedrive After Installation?

If you’ve followed all the installation instructions but still face issues enabling Icedrive on an Apple silicon Mac, try the following steps for macOS Big Sur on Intel devices:

1. Enter Recovery Mode: Restart your Mac and hold down Command + R during startup.
  2. Run a Command: Type the following command in Terminal:
kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

Hey!
Congrats on this release

Im using an Apple Silicon mac, and already have reduced security enabled due to other software i use that requires the use of kernel driver extension - however the installer wont open for me.

it will just bounce endlessly with no sign of opening, i even completely disabled gatekeeper and tried to run the executable inside the installer package, which just shows in the Terminal:
[03.09.2024 13:51:37.844] [8703538] ==================================

perhaps theres a logging issue starting before the installer launches?

Starting it via Rosetta doesnt do help too, and ive had no previous installation of icedrive on my machine

id also like to suggest that the file name inside the dmg says “Icedrive Installer” because initially until i saw this thread i though its the app itself and should be dragged into the /Applications folder

This is such an exiting and a long waits releases to have the native Icedrive mount for MacOS.

Unfortunately, I experienced the same as @icedriver where the installer doesn’t work. I am running M1 Pro with MacOS Sonoma (14.6.1) and have done the required steps as instructed. The Icedrive macOS v3.0 app is not opening and not responding when launch it.

Hope to get some updates very soon, cheers!

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys!

let me assist with the issues - I will also update the above write up as the wording/description is a little vague, as its not an “installer” as such

• Mount the DMG file
  • Window opens with Icedrive item
  • Drag & Drop the item to desktop or a home folder
  • Run the Icedrive item

Hope that helps

Does not work on M2 Max Sonoma 14.6.1.

Followed all steps. Not seeing the Icedrive system extension in security settings.

The Command also shows an unexpected argument error.

It sounds as though you guys do nto have macFUSE installed

https://osxfuse.github.io/

What we will do, is reset our M2 mac here in the office to factory defaults, and then create a more in depth guide with screenshots while we follow the process ourselves :slight_smile:
Stay tuned!

1 Like

Same here, just bouncing and nothing happens. I must perform a forced quit. osxfuse already installed because of other apps.
I use M3 Apple Air with the latest updates,

Hey guys, please make sure you download the latest version (3.11), We have also made a much simpler guide with screenshots below:

Now it works correctly. The app opens, and I can mount it without any problem.
I am hoping that everything else functions.

Update:
The app bar at the bottom of the screen always displays the icedrive. just like any open browser. Unlike other cloud solutions like sync, filen, and pcloud, it does not truly operate in the background. Everything vanishes if I shut it down. Please fix this as it is incorrect. Look at the dot beneath the symbol. That means it runs in the foreground. I have sync, and it operates correctly in the background. No icon on the program bar.
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 20.58.22