Installing Icedrive Mount & Sync on Mac M2/Apple Silicon | Step-By-Step Guide

How to Install Icedrive on a Mac with Apple Silicon

If you have tried running Icedrive on your Mac with M2/M3/Apple Silicon, chances are you have encountered one of the following errors:

That is because if you’re using a Mac equipped with Apple silicon, there are a few additional steps required to set up Icedrive. You’ll need to enable kernel extensions in Recovery mode. Although Apple suggests these extensions may reduce system security, rest assured that Icedrive is designed with your safety in mind, and this installation process remains secure.

Steps to Install Icedrive

1. Download Icedrive for Mac : First, download the installation DMG file for Icedrive.
  2. Open the DMG file download. You will be shown a new window with the Icedrive app icon
  3. Drag the icon into your Applications folder, or anywhere else you would preffer.

Thats it!
The next stage is to install the macFUSE Kernel libraries. This is the trickier part.

Installing macFUSE and Enabling System Extensions

1. Download macFUSE from the official website: https://osxfuse.github.io/

2. Enable system extensions. As you will see, you will need to do this in recovery mode.

3. Turn off your device. Turn it back on holding down the power button to enter recovery mode. You will see a screen similar to the one below:

4. Click options

5. Go to Utilities → Startup Security Utility

6. Apply the following settings:

7. Restart

8. Enable the system extensions:

• Open System Settings from the Apple menu.
  • Navigate to Privacy & Security in the sidebar.
  • Scroll to the Security section and find the option to allow system software
    You may need to restart again after this change.
  1. Install MacFUSE

10. If not prompted, follow the above steps and scroll to the Security section to find the option to allow system software from “Benjamin Fleischer.” (The macFUSE kernel extension developer)

You are now ready to use Icedrive!

We know that was a pain - Hopefully apple will do something about this in the future!

Important Note

If you prefer not to enable system extensions via Privacy & Security settings or Recovery mode, you can still use Icedrive, but with limited functionality. Specifically, you’ll only be able to use the sync feature.

2 Likes

Got it working. Thanks for this guide. @JimmyB

1 Like

Maybe in the future you could rely on this:

It does not need special installation. Verycrypt is already using it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! though i have been informed by our mount app lead that FuseT is quite an unreliable software emulation of fuse, probably okay for something small but a fully fledged drive would potentially be horrendous, it really would need to be a kernel extension

Could you please clarify what makes Fuse-t unreliable? I have tried searching for issues or reports of unreliability and have found nothing.

I have been using it for some time with Cryptomater and have had no issues. To ask your customers to downgrade their OS security in order to use your software seems unprofessional to me.

In fact, I can’t name one other online storage space vendor with this requirement. I have not seen this from Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or any other similar offering I have used and they all offer “mount & sync” software for Apple Silicon Macs just like this one from Icedrive.

Please, please, please reconsider using Fuse-t. It is updated often (as of this writing, the latest release was yesterday), is a drop-in replacement for “macfuse”, offers better performance, and is known to be stable.

Pcloud have the exact same thing and guide to set it up [How to install pCloud Drive on macOS devices with Apple silicon - The pCloud Blog]

Onedrive uses CloufFilesApi and similar on mac which is different to having a mounted drive, and google drive just syncs (You can use Icedrive sync without macfuse too)

I’m just relaying what our main dev has said about FuseT - We can look into it of course and do some tests, The steps required to set up are clearly outrageous, but it could be a case of either have something that works, or doesnt.

We will give it a go and see :slight_smile:

With respect to OneDrive, if what they use is different from having a mounted drive, it sure doesn’t impact my experience as an end user. It sure feels like a mounted drive to me. I can copy files to and from it via the Finder, I can edit files directly on OneDrive from my Mac, and I can mark files to always be available offline.

As for Google Drive, I am not sure I agree with the statement that it “just syncs”. My end user experience is exactly the same as what I’ve described for OneDrive above.

I greatly appreciate Icedrive giving fuse-t a try. I sure hope it works and will make the install experience for Apple Silicon Mac users a lot simpler, and arguably provide better security too. Considering there will be less and less Mac users not on Apple Silicon as time goes on and they continue investing in their own chips, I can only assume these will be the majority of your users on the Mac platform.

Thanks again for the consideration!

I’m talking abotut the technology used

Win 10+ came with CloudFilesApi which was basically built for onedrive (weve actually built this too, its great but its no longer a “drive” anymore so we disbanded it). Mac also has similar stuff now for iCloud

Google drive is just a folder which syncs in C++

Icedrive on the other hand is a “real” drive, which uses drivers to pull it off, so it its way more embedded than the others and needs a lot more to do

Toying around with FuseT soon :slight_smile: