Manjaro Linux mount is downloading entire cloud contents to tmp

is it normal behavior for the mount app to download everything into ~.local/share/Icedrive/Tmp/ ?

its going to consume all of my local storage…

which DE/WM? do you have baloo running as that may cause that. just guessing

Unfortunately, this is the way IceDrive v3.xx works. As IceDrive regulary consumed all of my local storage, I had to uninstall it.

Some more info here:

if you run any indexing s/w on your system, windows or linux, that indexes the contents of your files and it is trying to index the mounted icedrive, then i’d guess icedrive will have to download to a temp location for that indexing to take place.
both windows and kde (hence my question on which linux DE) have indexing services enabled by default that may cause this behavior. (after a windows or kde install, that’s one of the first things i do is to disable the indexing service)

just to add, it could be anything else, possibly a virus scanner, that is trying to read the whole of your mounted icedrive.

Thanks for your post, @jjoneil Indexing is disabled here and no, my virus scanner is not responsible for this temp flooding. This “feature” was introduced with IceDrive v3.xx. Neither older versions of IceDrive nor other cloud storage apps send hundreds or even thousands of temp files to my local storage.

I still hope IceDrive will do something about this temp flooding, but I don’t think they will. I’m currently using the portable version of IceDrive for manual backups. I will abandon this manual backup plan – and thus IceDrive – as soon as I have moved all my files to another cloud storage provider (still testing).

Im using KDE… i may have to revert back to the portable app or make due with the web app until/unless development chooses to go another direction. I have another mounted drive from 1 tme payment competitor, as well as a nas which all sync together (2 offsite backups and 1 onsite). So having the ice drive mount is not a deal breaker for me… but it sure would be nice!

on my manjaro kde (and xfce), ~.local/share/Icedrive/Tmp/ is empty. i’m only using the mounted drive and indexing is disabled

Hhmm how are you accomplishing this? I was thinking about explicitly denying access to the tmp folder… if that will even work. That way the app can just keep trying and just let it fail.

So i removed write permission to Tmp… seems to have worked. The folder is empty, and mount app does not look like it is downloading! I’m still able to access the drive, but I wondering if somehow im breaking some kind of functionality? Ohwell the problem that i cannot see is not a problem right?

Maybe staff could chime in with some input?