Unstable 3.11 unacceptable

Hello,

I am speaking on behalf of many users based upon their comments about Icedrive 3.11: it is clear that this version is buggy and should not have been released in its current state. I kindly ask that in the future you involve more beta testers to ensure only a stable version is released. It seems to me that the current version really does not meet the expectations of your customers, given the huge number of bugs.
Users should not be beta testers.
When do you plan to release much more stable version 3.12 or even 4.0?
In one week, I have opened four tickets, which is unacceptable, especially considering I have paid for a Plan III and am about to unsubsribe.
I trust you will fix all the reported bugs as soon as possible.
Kind regards,

Mathieu

4 Likes

Sadly, I have to agree. Unable to install the macOS version properly, probably because I use several iCloud accounts on my Mac, and something gets out of whack with extension allowances/access.

Hi @Mathieu

We completely understand your frustration and we’re right there with you. Even though we had a solid beta testing group, some issues didn’t show up until the app went live for everyone. The good news is that the dev team’s been working around the clock, and version 3.14 is out now, fixing most of the known issues. Check out the changelog for all the details. Hopefully, this update smooths things out for you!

How can we download the latest version? The link on the normal download page leads to version 3.11.

1 Like

Hello, even after updating to 3.14 I am unable to instant play or stream audio/video files from Windows File Explorer which was possible before in v2.7x. It’s now trying to download the whole file before starting playback. This is a huge problem. For example, it takes 10-15 minutes to download a 2GB file before starting to play. That means it is also not possible now to preview a video file without downloading it completely. It would be great if the Icedrive app could function the same way as the Google Drive for Desktop app. Google Drive supports instant streaming of files from Windows Explorer.

Meanwhile, could someone please share the v2.7x installer if you still, have it?

Thank you very much!

Would be good to be able to stream or preview the unencrypted audio & video files but indeed the new 3+ app version does do not this.
I wouldn’t say it’s a huge problem though. I sync my unimportant videos locally which are viewable without downloading. So if your audio & video files aren’t too important than try to sync them locally with a sync pair.

I can confirm that unfortunately the app freezing while creating a new sync pair while the app has in progress transfers going on, is still happening. Unsure if that was one of the various bug fixes they worked on in the change log but definitely not fixed, as evidenced here in the photos @Tom

Summary

Other than that though the 3.14 update has fixed some of the other outstanding issues there were, just from my brief testing anyway.
Have already lodged a ticket with support team about it. Not going to do so again, but easy enough for them to test & reproduce. Hopefully 3.15 will be very soon & fix that issue too.

Anyway in the meantime huge appreciation & thank you to the Icedrive team for the fast bug fixes & updates.

I understand the frustration, but some bugs are unavoidable, especially after a major revision. The team kept the app in beta for a long time, but there’s lots of software with bugs that won’t be identified until it’s released to a wider audience. The beta testing group was open to anyone who really wanted to be a beta tester, so I’m unsure how you would have them involve more beta testers in the future. After all, only a small percentage of users are willing or able to test buggy versions and provide meaningful feedback.

Version 3.0 is a major revision. I wouldn’t expect a major revision to 4.0 for at least a few years. They’re actively working on the bugs and have been quite responsive to tickets, so I would expect a minor revision to 3.12 or later soon. It seems 3.14 is already available for the Windows app.

To me, your post reads a bit confrontational. Threatening to unsubscribe isn’t going to make the team work faster. Version 3.0 was released 12 days ago, and they’ve already resolved many bugs in that time to get to the current revision. The team has been transparent about issues and the steps they are taking to resolve them. If you trust they will fix all the reported bugs as soon as possible, then I think it’s fair to give them the opportunity to do so.