General newbie questions

Hi, I’ve recently signed up to Icedrive (free subscription), but having a few problems listed below:

1. Do I have to mount Icedrive every time I start my computer? I really want the drive to be permanently visible under ‘This PC’ along with my other storage places.

2. I can’t access the Encrytped folder. When I attempt to do so, I get a ‘You don’t currently have permission to access this folder’. What is this folder, what does it do and how do I access it? If I can’t access it, why does it exist?

3. On the Windows app, storage states 3.45GB free of 1GB. Online it says the full 10GB is available which is what I would expect because it’s empty. Please advise.

Thanks for any help you can give me on the above. Many thanks.

Hi @Yellowcake welcome to the community!

1. To do this there should be an option in your desktop client settings that allows you to open on start up.

2. There are two areas where you can upload the files: encrypted and normal.

Data you upload to a normal area is encrypted in-transit (TLS/SSL) and at rest (disk partition encryption). Our system can read this data to create thumbnails / previews. Our employees do not have access to it.

Data you upload to Encrypted area is encrypted on your device (zero-knowledge encryption), then is transferred to the cloud in encrypted form (we use SSL/TLS so its double encrypted in-transit) and stored on an encrypted disk partition.

Suggest using Encrypted folder whenever you’re storing critical data.

Zero-knowledge encryption is available on all of our paid plans.

1. Please submit a support ticket via Login - Icedrive and we’ll investigate this issue further for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris. Still a bit confused about the Encrytped Folder. On the free plan, are you saying I can’t access it? What’s the point of putting stuff in it, if I can’t access it? Many thanks.

The encrypted section/folder is not accessible via a free plan as our zero-knowledge encryption service is only available via paid plans.

1 Like

Re: question 1 above Chris. It’s erratic. Icedrive does not automatically start on rebooting on my desktop but it does on my laptop. On my desktop, I have to re mount every time. The box you mention is ticked on both machines. Please advise. Many thanks.

This is possibly dependent network availability when booting up your device. We would need to see the full drive app log in order to determine this however.

1 Like